As another PAB draws to a close it’s time to reflect on why I keep coming back and what I get out of PAB.
In the beginning, the focus was on some of the technical aspects or the mechanics of how I could share our stories with the world. Some of these were new to me and I’ve incorporated them into my editing and story telling techniques. Some were topics that didn’t apply to my situation at all, but they did to other attendees.
Later years focused on ways to tell a story so that it was compelling to watch, listen to or read. Some of these techniques have helped me to collect and tell a better story. Some have not.
Recently, PAB has centred on the importance of the story itself. The importance of recording it, sharing it and making sure that it lasts.
Every year, leading up to PAB, I wonder what I will take away. What spark will catch in me? Who will give a presentation or Jolt that make me think long after PAB is over and all of the folks that make up the PAB family have all gone home.
This year, I can honestly say that each and every person who got up on that stage at the NAC left something in me that I can and will take away and use.
– I will collect content where ever I see it
– I will strive to tell a compelling story and engage my audience
– I will recognize those unattended moments in life.
– I will raise my hand when those Shiver Moments happen. Sometimes figuratively, sometimes literally.
– I will not be afraid to head into the jungle and the unknown, to go with my gut feeling, regardless of what the locals may think.
– I will not be afraid to let my voice and believes be heard and when possible, I will lend my voice to those that have none.
– Sometimes, I’ll share too much.
– I will be bolt.
– I will record the stories of my family and share them, show them and protect them like the precious jewels that they are.
– I will publish more. Sometimes it will be crappy, but hopefully, occasionally I will polish that turd and it will make someone think, react, or raise a hand. You will decide which is which, not me.
Photo Credit Martin Jones
According to my dictionary, Conference comes from the Latin conferre “bring together”. PAB brings together the most extra-ordinary group of people that I have every known and my life is richer in so many ways because of the relationships that I have made with all of you.
I thank you.
We miss you Moe!